Thursday, October 28, 2010

Life Changing Moments Told In Screen Caps

In honor of my roommate telling how to finally use screen captures (you hit function, not control...) I give you a major turning point and decision in my life, told through sloppy visual computer picture aids.

You see, I'm trying to decide my Major. My ultimate choice would be Philosophy. I like thinking, and the classes I've taken in philosophy are really great. The spirit of it and the quest for understanding is really meaningful for me, and I really want to learn more. The one issue with my passion for the subject is I've never been entirely sure what I can do with my life with it. Today it was time to change that, and finally make the decision as to what I would Major in in college.

Sitting on the Gettysburg College site today, I decided to figure out at least where I could go with a Major in Philosophy. I punched in "Major" in the search box, and stumbled upon a feature I had either passed over or not seen on the Gettysburg College site. There on the page telling how you apply for Majors was a little link entitled "What Can I do with this Degree?"

(Click to enlarge the pictures if you really need to see that badly. The line I'm talking about is at the top center in blue.)

Curious, and needing to figure out what direction my academic life should take (and where Philosophy could fit into that), I ventured forth and clicked. It took me to a list.


Being ever more curious, I indulged in seeing what some majors were like. I clicked through Computer Science and Political Science. I decided to see what it said for English Majors as I do like writing.


Wordy and longer than all the others. Did I really expect anything else?

I then proceeded to check out the Theatre Arts description and it's potential uses for my life's course.


Pretty standard, global, and nice. I liked the two descriptions, but still I was not convinced. Maybe a double Major in Theatre Arts and English would be good, but Philosophy...

I was excited, expectant. I know Philosophy isn't terribly exciting for some, or useful in any real sense, but I've never really cared. I love thinking, and I love all the sorts of world issues you encounter in thinking through thinking. It's my type of subject, and it has been important in the shaping of the world. I don't really know what I want to do with my life, so Philosophy has always seemed like it could give me some answers, or at least helped me down the path.

The only problem I've ever encountered with this approach is the one mentioned before: what do modern day Philosophers do? What do Philosophy Majors do after they get the degree? I really had no clue, but I knew that I loved the subject. If I could only understand where I could go with it, it would probably be the perfect choice.

Anticipation building, I clicked on the link to read the description and see where my future with a Philosophy Major could take me.


Double Major in Theatre Arts and English it is then. Thanks for bearing witness to this life changing moment of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment